Sunday, February 7, 2016

January: The Month of Drawings, Part III. Some final thoughts


I did it.  For the last week and a half of January, I switched from copying cartoons or pictures to drawing my own.

It went...okay.  I don’t love the drawings.  I feel like I didn’t work on them long enough to have a consistent style.  I picked things that made me smile but the final products make me itch to redraw them better, cleaner, and more interesting.

Let me present some of the Adventures of Fat Unicorn.  Very loosely inspired by Kate Beaton’s Fat Pony (http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=131), I wanted a cartoon character that wasn’t sexy or very difficult to draw. 




And now, time for the monthly recap.

On a grading scale from A through F, how would you rate this?  Did you accomplish your goal?
I’d give it a C+. 

While it made me remember how much I enjoy creating and drawing, I didn’t necessarily see myself as more creative.  I think this is one of those “fake it till you make it” things where I pretend to be creative until I believe it.  I'm better working towards a goal or a final product than just sketching whatever catches my fancy.  On the plus side, I think my drawing did improve in only a month. 

Did you do this each and every day?
I forgot two days in a row. 

Will you do anything different moving forward?
Not as a daily habit, no.  But this month made me realize that there are two things I’d love to do: 
1) Take a figure drawing class and
2) Have the chance to play with cartooning on a Wacom tablet.  If anyone would let me play with theirs, I’d be forever grateful. 

Coming up next:  The Month of Early Mornings

No comments:

Post a Comment