Thursday, February 11, 2016

February: The Month of Early Mornings





Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

The early bird catches the worm.

We've all heard it.  I’ve read article after article after article that extols the virtue of being an early riser.  I personally know some very successful people that seem to run on sheer will power, manic energy, and caffeine. 

So this month, I’ve decided to wake up every morning at 5 a.m. (during the week) and 6 a.m. (on weekends).

This schedule is actually nothing new.  I’ve had two babies.  I’ve done the multiple early morning feedings, nursing a baby at 3 a.m. or dozing on the couch because my one year old was awake and ready to play at an ungodly early hour.  I know I can do it.  I’ve also woken up quite early before to keep an early schedule at work, so I could work from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

But I’ve never woken up early for the sake of it.  It’s been out of necessity, not choice.  It’s no coincidence that I picked the shortest month for this experiment.  I love my sleep:  while my husband is the night owl that can happily survive on five hours of sleep, I typically need closer to seven or eight.

Wish me luck.  And if you catch me napping at my desk, falling asleep in a meeting, or chugging some extra caffeine, just remember:  all of those articles can't be wrong.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment