Sunday, July 3, 2016

June: The Month of Recipes

June was technically the Month of New Recipes, but it could also be called the Month of Eating Well or the Month of Trying New Food.

I will list all of the recipes at the bottom of the post, but my favorites include the shakshuka, bahn mi, khachapuri, Mexican street corn, and cinnamon rolls.  

The only two recipes that didn't work were the rosemary Parmesan crackers (didn't stick together) and the raspberry balsamic meatballs (they burnt in the crockpot).  


This is what cracker failure looks like.


On a grading scale from A through F, how would you rate this?  Did you accomplish your goal? 
A all the way.  
While I did enjoy scouring the internet for new recipes, my favorite part was getting recipes from friends and family.  I put out the ask on Facebook and I had a lot of people send me their favorite recipes.  I even had a few people offer to show me how to cook or offer ingredients.  While that didn't work out, it was amazing to see how food can bring people together.  I plan to try all of the recipes sent my way in the coming few months.

Did you do this each and every day? 
I didn't try to do it daily (I was out of town and had some busy days!) but I did do a total of 30 new recipes.

Will you do anything different moving forward?
Yes.  This was a great reminder that the world is full of interesting and tasty food.  It's pretty easy to get into a cooking rut, but it's also easy to get out of it.  I used quite a few ingredients I had never worked with before, including some from international grocery stores. Cooking and eating should be fun, not boring!

This was also a good reminder that my kids are getting older and don't HAVE to eat at exactly the same time every night.  Some dishes were more complicated and our family ate later.  It was a bit stressful for my schedule-loving self, but totally worth it for the end result of the meal.

I don't think we spent more money on groceries than usual, mostly because we ate out less. 


And now, the big list 'o recipes!
Coming up for the month of July...weird poses, lots of stretching, and mindful breathing.  That's right, I'll be doing a month of yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment