Sunday, June 5, 2016

May: The Month of Language






You get a combo introduction and recap post, as I didn't think that a month of doing a foreign language app was that interesting.  

Oh yeah, spoiler alert:  I spent the month of May learning Spanish through the duoLingo app.  I gave myself a bit of a break and didn't get overly ambitious: no extra language classes, no listening to Spanish language podcasts.  I only used the duoLingo.  That said, according to duoLingo I am "6% fluent" in Spanish right now.

I don't necessarily believe that, but I do think I've got the equivalent amount of knowledge to 1-2 semesters of high school Spanish.  IN ONE MONTH!  I have a natural boost:  I have a strong background in romance languages.  I took 6 years of Latin compressed into 5 (so I could do independent study of ancient Greek my senior of high school.  NERD ALERT), 2 years of high school French, and 2 years of college Italian.  I used to love languages and I was pretty good at them.


On a grading scale from A through F, how would you rate this?  Did you accomplish your goal? 
A+

I had low expectations going in but I love duoLingo.  It forces you to repeatedly revisit what you learn to make sure it stays in your head.  Oh, and it's fun!  This reminded me how much I used to love learning languages, figuring out how to construct sentences, conjugating verbs... When I was in high school, for a bit I wanted to attend Georgetown and go to their School of Foreign Service.  The lure of cheap college and staying close to my then high school boyfriend won out, but this reminds me of that passion.

Did you do this each and every day? 
Yep. 

Will you do anything different moving forward? 

Heck yeah.  I plan on continuing using it, and when I do the entire app, I want to continuing learning Spanish in another way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment